Taken 27-Jul-13
Visitors 6


9 of 337 photos
Thumbnails
Info
Categories & Keywords

Category:
Subcategory:
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:
Photo Info

Dimensions4928 x 3264
Original file size5.71 MB
Image typeJPEG
Color spacesRGB
Date taken27-Jul-13 08:37
Date modified27-Jul-13 08:37
Shooting Conditions

Camera makeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera modelNIKON D7000
Focal length35 mm
Focal length (35mm)52 mm
Max lens aperturef/3.4
Exposure1/250 at f/5
FlashFired, auto mode, return light detected
Exposure bias0 EV
Exposure modeAuto
Exposure prog.Unknown
ISO speedISO 100
Metering modePattern
Digital zoom1x
Santa Anna, C.S.A.

Santa Anna, C.S.A.

Santa Anna
Coleman County, Texas
31 44.538' N 99 19.428' W

Historical Marker: Mountain and town named in honor of man in power here in 1840's, a Comanche chief friendly to Texans. Santa Anna in 1846 visited President Polk in Washington during U.S. negotiations to annex Texas. Also signed and kept until his death of cholera in 1849 peace treaties that allowed the German Emigration Company to settle lands north of the Llano River. Comanches used Santa Anna peaks as signal points. Early surveyors, travelers, explorers and settlers took them as guide points. In 1857, nearby United States Cavalry at Camp Colorado kept lookouts here. In the Civil War, 1861-65, frontier kept lookouts here. At foot of mountain, with sentries on heights watching at the pass the military road from San Antonio northeastward to Fort Belknap, a strategic outpost guarding Texas from invasion by Indians and Federal troops. During the 1870's thousands of longhorns went through the gap, over the western cattle trail. In 1879, "The Gap" had a store and post office to supply the cattle drives. When Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe built here in 1886, settlers moved from The Gap to the railroad, starting the present town. Quarries in the mountain yield fine sands for the manufacturing of glass.