Community of Pilgrim
Gonzales County, Texas
29 17.744' N 97 31.283' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-209 and FM-1116. Go .1 miles north on CR-209. The marker is on the right (east) side of the road.
Text: Named in honor of Thomas J. Pilgrim (1804-1877), noted pioneer educator. Born in Connecticut, he came in 1828 to Texas, where in 1829 he organized a school at San Felipe, in Stephen F. Austin's Colony. Also started first Sunday School in Texas. In 1838 he received a land grant of 1,476 acres (including this site) from Texas Republic. Settled in Gonzales in 1840; started a Sunday School and was superintendent until 1871. Community became a prominent trading post in early 1840s and a hideout of famous gunman John Wesley Hardin in 1870s.