Community of Wrightsboro
Gonzales County, Texas
29 22.387' N 97 33.924' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-119 and FM-108. Go 100 yards south on FM-108. The marker is on the right (west) side of the road.
Text: Founded in 1851 by L. C. "Jack" Wright. Fellow settlers with a sense of humor gave town name because Wright's burro (donkey) roamed the area at will. A native of Alabama, Wright (1820-1905) was a noted marksman. He served in Confederate Army in Civil War (1861-65), then returned to stock raising here. Was also a county commissioner 10 years. At peak, Wrightsboro boasted many stores and a solid grain and cotton-based economy. Grew to be trade and social center. Local Masonic Lodge, Shuler No. 317, has operated from 1869 to 1915 and 1920 to the present.