Bexar County, Texas
29 28.526' N 98 28.286' W Directions: Start at the intersection of Argyle Avenue and Patterson Avenue. The house is on the northwest corner of the intersection.
Text: Built 1859 by Charles Anderson as headquarters for a 1400-acre house ranch. Leaving San Antonio on Civil War's eve, Anderson sold to poet Hiram McLane who lived here 30 years. In 1890 at Alamo Heights' creation, a subdivider named the mansion for his native Argyllshire, Scotland. The O'Grady family, formerly of Boerne, bought the Argyle in 1893, making it famous for hospitality and food. The classic "Argyle Cook Book" was published in 1940.