Center Point School
Kerr County, Texas
29 56.521' N 99 01.977' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Avenue C and China Street. The school is on the southwest corner of the intersection.
Text: Prior to the settlement of the community of Zanzenburg and Center Point, school was taught in shacks and homes. From 1873-1875, B.F. Johnson taught classes in the first school held in various buildings in the area. From 1876-1884, the Center Point Academy served as the community's school. In 1884, Dr. J.C. Nowlin donated an acre of land for a school building and a plank building was erected. in 1910, San Antonio architect Alfred Giles designed and J.V. Oppert built a two-story limestone building. the school officially opened for classes in the fall of 1911. Students still receive an education in the original limestone building, which serves as an educational and social hub for center point.