Hamilton County, Texas
31 42.666' N 98 07.263' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of SH-218 and Francis Marion Road. The marker is on the southeast corner of the intersection.
Text: Elizabeth (Ann) Whitney, a native of Missouri, accepted a teaching position at a newly erected rural school located about seven miles north of present day Hamilton in 1867. This school, called the Leon River School, was situated on a rise overlooking the Warlene Valley. On a hot summer afternoon in 1867 Ann and her students were suddenly attacked by Comanche Indians. According to local tradition Ann was repeatedly struck by arrows fired through cracks in the schoolhouse walls. Although fatally injured she nevertheless bravely aided the escape of all but one of her young students.