Hamilton National Bank
Hamilton County, Texas
31 42.279' N 98 07.411' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Henry Street and SH-281. The marker is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: J. T. James and Z. C. Law had the town's first drugstore in 1876. Law appointed postmaster, used a small safe in official duties. In 1881 Dr. George Perry bought Law's interest, but the safe remained in the store. The first bank in county began when James and Perry let friends keep buckskin bags of coins in the safe. This private bank was in service for several years. In 1890 Hamilton National Bank was chartered with Dr. George Perry, president; J. T. James, vice-president; J. L. Spurlin and J. A. Eidson, directors.