Hamilton County, Texas
31 42.170' N 98 07.458' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of SH-281 (Rice Avenue) and Leslie Street. The house is on the northwest corner of the intersection. 121 S. Rice Avenue.
Text: Local contractor Louis V. Manning built this house between 1880 and 1885 on land inherited from his father, pioneer Exekiel Manning, and lived here until 1904. The John H. and Abbie Gordon family owned the house from 1907 to 1936 and the Oliver Dow and Minta Henderson family took up residence here in 1936. A simple example of a cross-gabled roof Queen Anne house, its distinguishing details include fish-scale textured gables, cutaway bay windows, and a front entry porch with ornamental posts and brackets and a jigsawn frieze. Also of interest is the unusual siding flanking the entry door.