Lampasas County, Texas
31 03.280' N 98 10.984' W
Text: First white settlers in 1850's found Indians using curative waters here. Town was quickly developed around the springs. Stage and freight routes and many cattle drives came this way. The springs took the name of landowner, John Hancock. On a hill to the north about 1882, promoters of the Santa Fe Railway built a 200-room "Park Hotel," with boardwalk to the springs, bathhouses, many other luxuries. It gained wide fame as South's finest health resort. Closed in a few years as a hotel, it later housed Centenary College, until it burned in 1895. Area is now a city park.