First Baptist Church of Lampasas
Lampasas County, Texas
31 03.855' N 98 10.991' W
Text: Originally known as Sulphur Springs Baptist Church, this congregation was organized in 1856, the same year the town and county of Lampasas were created. Moses Hughes, one of the earliest settlers in the area, was instrumental in the church's formation. The first pastor was The Rev. Richard Howard (1817-82), a native of South Carolina who was active in the establishment of several pioneer Texas churches. A sanctuary built along Sulphur Creek served the congregation until 1872 when a new building was constructed at Main and Fourth streets. By the late 1880s a larger facility was needed and a new building was begun at Third and Key streets. A lack of funds caused delays and it remained partially built until the 1890s. Under the direction of The Rev. J. M. Carroll, local residents donated property to the church. Funds from the sale of the land were used to complete the building. A fire destroyed the structure in 1937 and new facilities were built on the same site. Since the earliest days of the city, the First Baptist Church of Lampasas has been an active leader in civic development, missions, and Baptist associational work. Many prominent pastors and community leaders have been associated with the congregation.