Building 98, Fort D.A. Russell
Presidio County, Texas
30 18.099' N 104 01.628' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Bonnie Street and Hill Street. Go 1/2 block west on Bonnie Street. The building is on the left (south) side of the street.
Text: Constructed in 1920, Building 98 housed the Officers Club and Bachelor Officers Quarters for Fort D.A. Russell. During the latter years of World War II, from 1943 to 1945, German prisoners of war from Field Marshal Erwin Rommel's Afrika Korps were housed at the fort, and evidence of their ornate artwork can be found on the building's interior walls. Murals depict views from a courtyard and include scenes typical of west Texas. Constructed of adobe and concrete, Building 98 features a pebbledash finish and an A-shaped footprint, with one courtyard completely enclosed and another enclosed on three sides.