First Telephone Exchange
Pecos County, Texas
30 53.007' N 102 53.144' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Butz Street and Callaghan Street. The house is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: The Pecos County commissioners authorized E. W. Bennett (1858-1933) to establish Ft. Stockton's First Telephone service in May 1909. The switchboard, operated by Bennett's daughter, Zetta, was located in a room attached to this adobe house, where the Bennetts lived. The wires connected with Ft. Stockton's 200 phone subscribers with Ozona, where Bennett's sons, John and Will, ran the family's telephone exchange. Lines were later strung to other towns, completing this vital communication link. The Ft. Stockton Exchange became part of Southwestern Bell Telephone System in 1928.