Fort Stockton Guard House
Pecos County, Texas
30 53.223' N 102 52.580' W Directions: Start at the intersection of 3rd Street and Rooney Street. The building is on the east side of the intersection.
Text: Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the civil war and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by Oxcart. The Guard House consisted of a room with arm and leg irons, a dungeon for solitary confinement, and quarters for guards. It was abandoned in 1886.