Site of Fort Stockton
Pecos County, Texas
30 52.943' N 102 52.760' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Main Street and James Street. The marker is on the southwest corner of the intersection.
Text: Established on the Comanche Trail March 23, 1859, as a protection to the San Antonio-San Diego mail route. Named in honor of Commodore Robert Field Stockton, 1795-1866, who captured California for the United States. A stage stand on the San Diego Line, 1858-1861. Evacuated by federal troops during the Civil War, reoccupied July, 1867. Permanently abandoned June 30, 1886.