Coryell County, Texas
31 20.694' N 97 58.088' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-140 and FM-1783. Go 200 yards north on FM-1783. The cemetery is on the right (east) side of the road.
Historical Marker: This cemetery served the once thriving farming and ranching community of Slater, which formed in the late 1800s. By the early 1900s, the community had two churches, a post office, a school and various businesses. In 1907, James and Ellen Martin donated land to be used as a free burial ground for Slater residents. Their son, Curry, was buried that year; his is the cemetery's oldest marked grave. A cemetery association organized in 1964 continues to care for the burial ground. Veterans, landowners and community leaders are among those buried here. Today, it is all that remains of Slater, preserving the record of the pioneering families who settled in this area.