Andrews Chapel Cemetery
Lavaca County, Texas
29 35.260' N 96 53.390' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-223 and CR-221. Go 250 yards east on CR-221. The cemetery is on the left (north) side of the road.
Historical Marker: Associated with the Hackberry community, the Andrews Chapel Cemetery was named for settler A.G. Andrews, who by 1866 had donated land for a burial ground and Baptist church. The oldest marked grave dates to 1860 and the burial of Mexican War veteran Alfred Morrow. Other burials include that of Joseph Lawrence, a veteran of the Battles of Plum Creek and San Jacinto. At the time of his death in 1897, Lawrence was believed to be the oldest surviving veteran of the Texas Revolution. Today, and association maintains the burial ground, holding annual homecomings to reunite and to preserve this link to the area's history.