First Independent Baptist Church of Corsicana
Navarro County, Texas
32 05.832' N 96 27.547' W
Address: 701 W. G.W. Jackson Avenue
Text: A group of former slaves, led by Simon Perry, organized the second African Baptist Church in 1868. Following an 1886 storm that destroyed the sanctuary on Fourth Avenue, the members purchased this property and constructed a new building. In 1918 they completed the present structure. The church name was changed in 1929 to reflect the congregation's independence from other religious groups. Three area Baptist congregations, Wilgo, Harmony, and Sixth Avenue, were started by members of the fellowship.
Date Photographed: 21-05-06