First Methodist Church of Valley Mills
Bosque County, Texas
31 39.535' N 97 28.266' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Avenue C and 5th Street. The church is on the northwest corner of the intersection.
Text: Methodists in this area trace their history to the 1840s, when circuit-riding preachers began holding camp meetings on a nearby farm. In 1889, after the railroad caused Valley Mills to relocate south of the Bosque River, the Methodists built their first church, located in a residential area. In 1915 the congregation voted to move downtown. This brick structure, which features two inset temple-front entries with Ionic columns, was completed by 1916. Art glass windows, corbelled brickwork, and a pressed metal roof which simulates tile are also prominent.