Bosque County, Texas
31 39.742' N 97 28.218' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of 4th Street and Tibbs Drive. Go 100 yards east on Tibbs Drive. The house in on the right (south) side of the street.
Text: S. A. Pool built this residence, a store, and a cotton gin on the river bank in 1870, when the town of Valley Mills stood on the north side of the Bosque. The building stone came from nearby Fitzhugh Hill. Robert A. Tibbs, a Mississippi Civil War veteran, bought the house in 1891. After acquiring it in 1926, Anselm Tibbs (1886-1967) removed the original Greek Revival portico and made other changes. The town of Valley Mills moved south of the river when the Santa Fe Railroad was built. As a consequence, this is the oldest house in the present, or "new" town.