Rock Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Bosque County, Texas
31 41.162' N 97 24.970' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of FM-1637 and CR-3550. Go .3 miles west on FM-1637. The church is on the left (south) side of the road.
Text: The Rev. James B. Sadler (1828-1911), a self-educated former slave, started this black congregation in 1870 and helped establish a separate black Presbytery in 1876. Worship services were held in a nearby brush arbor or in homes until the present structure was erected in 1890. This building also housed a community school for a time. The Rev. Sadler and his wife, Susan, owned the property until 1909. It was then deeded to church officers, who maintain the church and adjacent cemetery today. The congregation's annual homecoming is held in November.