Cottonwood Bank and Post Office
Callahan County, Texas
32 12.340' N 99 12.299' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of FM-1079 and CR-429. The building is on the southeast corner of the intersection.
Text: W. F. Griffin opened a bank about 1911 in this small frame building. With Griffin as a director, Paul Ramsey served as the first president. His duties included teller, cashier, loan officer and custodian. When the railroad bypassed Cottonwood, merchants and residents moved away. In January 1915, the bank closed. In 1918 Hazel Respess opened a post office in the building and ran it for the next 50 years. In 1975, postal service here was stopped. This spot has been a gathering place for the community.