Higginbotham Brothers and Company
Callahan County, Texas
32 07.535' N 99 09.910' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Main Street and 1st Street. The building is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: This location of the Higginbotham brothers and Co. was opened on Nov. 20, 1914 by brothers Rufus Wilson, Joseph Martin, and Bolivar Taylor, Jr. Original glass counters, cabinets, mirrors, stairways, floors and tin ceiling are still in use today. The first in the chain of general stores was opened in 1881 in DeLeon by Joseph Bolivar and brother-in-law Jeff Bartlett. Soon, combinations of brothers, relatives and friends opened other locations serving all aspects of customer needs, including undertaking. The funeral parlor was located on the north side of the cross plains store before being relocated. Today there are 34 Texas store locations which have served for 130 years.