Site of Cottonwood Springs
Callahan County, Texas
32 12.357' N 99 12.226' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of FM-880 and FM-1079. Go .2 miles west on FM-1079. The marker is on the left (south) side of the road.
Text: After Indians on High Plains were subdued (1874) by Gen. R. S. MacKenzie, settlers started to pour into this area, where they found abundant game, water, and good soil for ranching, farming. Cottonwood Springs, at head of Green Briar Creek, was one of first villages founded (in 1875). The town soon became a trading center for southeastern part of county. It had several stores, two churches, and a school; and although usually peaceful, it experienced many gun battles. The town name was shortened to "Cottonwood" after first post office was established in 1883.