DeWitt County, Texas
29 05.326' N 97 16.609' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Fain McDougal Drive and SH-87. Go 300 yards east on SH-87. The marker is on the right (south) side of the street.
Text: Founded 1873 with arrival of Gulf, Western, Texas and Pacific Railroad. County seat moved here from Clinton, 1876. Population grew after coastal storms of 1875 and 1886 destroyed Indianola and refugees from there made a new start here. Home of Turkey Trot, begun in 1912. Farming, ranching, oil and gas center.