Alexander Hamilton House
DeWitt County, Texas
29 05.863' N 97 17.316' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Prairie Street and SH-183. The house is on the northwest corner of the intersection.
Text: Alexander Hamilton (1846-1906) came in 1850 with relatives from Kentucky to Texas. As a Civil War veteran and businessman, he moved in 1873 to Cuero, where he was to be merchant banker - manufacturer - rancher pioneering in Hereford cattle. Married in 1876, he saved gold coins from his cash box and built (1883) this elegant house for his young wife, Annie E. (Thornton), and their sons. The structure was modified in 1937 by the son who now owns and preserves it.