DeWitt County, Texas
29 16.775' N 97 08.895' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Pulliam Street and Aubrey Street. The marker is on the south side of the intersection.
Text: Located in northeastern Dewitt County, the Asberry School served the educational needs of the African American community in Yoakum beginning in 1930. Formerly known as the Yoakum Negro Public School, it formed out of the consolidation of two African American schools in 1920. Tradition states that a new school building was erected on this site with money from the Rosenwald fund, a philanthropic endeavor developed by Sears, Roebuck and company president Julius Rosenwald, to improve the quality of African American education in the south. The school initially housed ten grades but soon the full twelve were offered. In 1948, the school was renamed Asberry High School in honor of its principal, professor J.D. Asberry. Professor Asberry had a famous saying among the students and community that is proudly displayed on campus: "never spend a dollar when a dime will do." The school remained as an African American school until integration, and in 1966 the last senior class graduated. The school remained in the current independent school system and was used as a facility on the intermediate campus. The Asberry School was a focal point in the African American community for their educational needs and for social functions. The school provided a central meeting place for religious groups, training opportunities in canning, cooking and agriculture, and disaster relief. This historic institution is a lasting memorial to the dedicated principals, teachers, custodians and alumni who have fostered and supported the community through education.