Site of Mark Fury Ranch Stage Stand
Schleicher County, Texas
31 03.962' N 100 30.686' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-316 and SH-277. Go .5 miles north on SH-277. The marker is on the right (east) side of the highway.
Text: Originally part of the Mark Fury Ranch, this site was used as a stagecoach stop from 1894 to 1909. Theodore Jackson Savell (1872-1954) owned and operated the line between San Angelo and Sonora. Six mornings each week a horn was blown to announce the arrival of the stage. In emergencies on the road, help was prompt because the line served as a thread of life for the remote area. The Savell stages were instrumental in the early development of the region, providing passenger, mail, and express services.