McCulloch County, Texas
31 20.661' N 99 07.134' W
Text: According to legend, this cemetery's name is a reference to a cowboy who died while passing through this area and may have been the first interred here. It is known that W.G.S. Hughes (1851-1925) and wife Sarah (1854-1945) donated the land for this site, likely upon the 1882 death of their four-year-old son, William, the cemetery's first recorded burial. They gave an additional acre for a school. In 1932, Sarah Hughes and family deeded another 4.65 acres to the Cowboy Cemetery Association. This group has since overseen many improvements and cared for this burial ground that records the heritage of the Deep Creek Community.