City of Rockdale
Milam County, Texas
30 39.325' N 97 00.135' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Cameron Avenue and Burleson Street. The marker is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: Rockdale began as a railroad town in 1874 along a new line of the International & Great Northern. It grew quickly as a shipping point and soon boasted churches, schools, cotton gins, grist mills, an opera house, a bank and newspaper. The City of Rockdale formally organized in 1875. Work on a city hall began at this site in 1895 on the design of Austin architect A.O. Watson. Completed years later, it provided space for city programs, social gatherings, school functions and political meetings, and housed the volunteer fire department for 80 years. Altered in the 1930s, resulting in the loss of a tall bell tower, the former city hall still serves as a reminder of Rockdale's early development.