San Saba County, Texas
31 03.337' N 98 34.298' W
Historical Marker: Chappel, established in the 1850s, is one of San Saba County's earliest settlements. The land for this cemetery is part of 16-1/2 acres donated by Joab B. Harrell (1814-1893) that he formally deeded in 1886 to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Harrell, the county's first Chief Justice, had buried his own son at this site some fifteen years earlier. The M.E. Church, a school and store served as the center of this community. This burial ground chronicles the lives of pioneers and families that are Chappel's heritage. The Chappel Cemetery Association was established in 1976 to ensure the site's preservation and perpetual care.