Andrews County, Texas
32 18.838' N 102 32.725' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Andrews Street and Main Street. The marker is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: In 1875, Col. Wm. R. Shafter and a company of soldiers traveled from Fort Concho (where San Angelo is today) to Monument Springs, New Mexico, charting the arid plains, mapping all the vital watering places. This marker is in the only town of today through which Shafter's Trail passes. Here Col. Shafter, defending his party, chased Indians who ran 12 miles to the northwest. Thus he found the salt lake known ever after by his name. His expedition's maps of this formerly unknown land opened the Permian Basin to settlement.