Gillespie County, Texas
30 26.644' N 99 07.815' W
Text: One of the state's few remaining rural school systems, Doss School began in 1884 on Doss-Spring Creek Road (3.5 mi. S). Ten years later, land at this site was donated by Tom Nixon, and a small frame structure was built. In 1905, a limestone schoolhouse was built, and in 1927 the present building was added. Over the years, the Onion Creek and Squaw Creek schools have merged with Doss, but the school has maintained its small student-teacher ratio. An important part of the Doss community, the school has played a significant role in the history of education in Gillespie County.