First Presbyterian Church of Victoria
Victoria County, Texas
28 49.029' N 97 00.016' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Loma Vista Avenue and Navarro Street. The church is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: One of the oldest church congregations in Victoria, the First Presbyterian Church was organized on October 2, 1841, by the Rev. William C. Blair and eight charter members. The first house of worship was built in the 1840s across from DeLeon Plaza. Worship and educational programs were increased as the church experienced steady growth. The Ladies Aid Benevolent Society was organized in 1872. One year later a new sanctuary was built at the corner of Forest and Liberty Streets. It continued to serve the congregation until 1923, when a red brick structure was completed one block north at Goodwin and Liberty Streets. The church relocated to this site in 1966. Throughout its history, this congregation has served the community with variety of worship, educational, mission, and outreach programs. The women of the church, under various names over the years, have contributed much to the life of the congregation. In addition to the Sunday school, youth programs have included the establishment of the Presbyterian day school in 1946 and scout troops. This church was instrumental in organizing new Presbyterian congregations in Victoria and nearby communities.