Lee County, Texas
30 18.986' N 96 56.348' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-440 and SH-21. Go 700 feet east on CR-440. The marker is on the left (north) side of the road.
Text: Established as Hannes School No. 43 in 1893 when F. Soder deeded two acres to school trustees, the Gloyna School was renamed in 1900 when Christian Gloyna bought the surrounding land. The facility became Gloyna Common School District No. 17 in 1909, and encompassed almost 10,000 acres within its boundaries. The one-room school also was used for community religious activities. Twenty-four students attended class regularly by 1911. A larger building replaced the original structure in 1923. Enrollment dropped in the late 1940s. Gloyna School was annexed by the Dime Box School District in 1950. The 50 years of service provided to this German community by Gloyna School is a reminder of the vital role of rural education in Texas' past.