Burleson County, Texas
30 32.239' N 96 41.569' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of SH-21 and SH-36. Go 75 yards north on SH-21. The marker is on the right (south) side of the road.
Text: Farmed early as 1744 by Indians under guidance of Spanish missionaries. In 1830, Ft. Tenoxtitlan, guarding Brazos crossing, San Antonio Road, attracted Anglo-Texans, who lived off wild game in early years. County created and organized in 1846. Named for Gen. Edward Burleson (1798-1851), veteran of Battle of San Jacinto; Indian fighter; Republic of Texas vice-president and senator, later a state senator. County seat, Caldwell (named for Mathew Caldwell, signer of Declaration of Independence). During the Civil War, furnished troops, cotton and food to Confederate Texas.