Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department
Burleson County, Texas
30 32.041' N 96 41.672' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Fawn Street and Main Street. The marker is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: Caldwell's volunteer fire department was organized as the Caldwell Hook & Ladder Co. No.1 on July 22, 1886, five years before the city of Caldwell was incorporated. The original 22 members of the association obtained their first pieces of equipment--a four-wheel truck (pulled by manpower) complete with extension ladders, axes, and leather buckets for holding water-through membership dues and donations from citizens. Reorganization as the Caldwell Fire Company took place in 1907, providing for election of officers and directors and limiting membership to 40 persons. Membership over the years has averaged 20 to 25. After its incorporation in 1891, the city of Caldwell gradually took over supervision of the fire company, giving its first $250 for the purchase of a new fire truck in 1916. The volunteer fire department has historically answered calls for assistance both inside the city limits and in the neighboring rural areas. Throughout its history, the Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department has been a community service-oriented organization, sponsoring circuses, maifests, first aid classes and safety programs, and maintaining Fireman's Park from 1889 to 1910. The company's 1937 fire truck was restored as a city preservation project, Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.