City of Caldwell
Burleson County, Texas
30 31.876' N 96 42.171' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of SH-21 and Gray Street. The marker is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: Founded 1840 by Lewis L. Chiles, a veteran of Battle of San Jacinto. Named for Mathew "Old Paint" Caldwell, Indian fighter and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. This was county seat, Milam County, in 1845; since 1846 county seat of Burleson County. Home, Burleson County Fair.