First Baptist Church of Mexia
Limestone County, Texas
31 40.994' N 96 28.802' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Carthage Street and Kaufman Street. The church is on the southwest corner of the intersection.
Text: Organized Jan. 14, 1872, by the Rev. W. Henry Parks. Some charter members came from Springfield Church (founded 1846), as that town was bypassed by Houston and Texas Central Railroad in 1871 and absorbed by Mexia. After meeting at first in a lodge hall, congregation built a church in 1873. Four buildings have been erected on this site. Thirty-two pastors have served this church. The congregation has helped found two other churches. It also has sent out missionaries Mildred Cox Mein (Brazil, 1934-71) and John E. Mills (Africa, 1947- ).