Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church
Washington County, Texas
30 19.365' N 96 16.730' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-97 and FM-390. Go .6 miles north on CR-97. The church is on the right (east) side of the road.
Church Plaque: Bethlehem Lutheran was organized on Sept. 9, 1860 by German settlers. Earliest burial records indicate most early members were from Westphalia Province, Prussia, which is now part of Germany. The church first served by a Missouri Synod pastor in 1870. On Dec. 25, 1881, it was voted to join the Missouri Synod, and official acceptance was on Jan. 12, 1882. The first building constructed in 1860 served as the church, school and parsonage. The present church was built in 1893 at a cost of $2466. The original 75 foot tall steeple was replaced after being destroyed by lightning. In 1952, the present parish hall was added. At this time Bethlehem is the third oldest active Missouri Synod Church in Texas.