Falls County, Texas
31 18.300' N 97 08.261' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-499A and CR-499E. Go .25 miles north on CR-499E to cemetery gate.
Historical Marker: Irishman Robert Moore was the first person to settle permanently in this area. Arriving in the 1850s, he opened a general store on top of a hill south of Cow Bayou. By 1859 several other families lived here and the community became known as Mooreville. Confederate veteran Edward McCullough (1834-1902) came to Morreville in 1865 and later purchased land that included this site. During his ownership this cemetery was established. The graveyard appears to have been used by the community at large from its beginning; the earliest marked graves, which date to 1866, bear surnames of Martin, Grayum, and Russell. The burial ground's existence was first recorded in deed records in 1876, when Edward McCollough deeded land for a burial ground. Since World War II, the historic burial ground has been maintained by the Mooreville Cemetery Association, which was formally established in 1973. The association counts among its members many descendants of Mooreville's original permanent settlers. The Mooreville Cemetery is an important cultural resource in this area. It remains a tangible reminder of this community's pioneer heritage.