Uvalde County, Texas
29 14.548' N 100 05.042' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-212 and SH-90. Go 100 feet west on SH-90. The marker is on the left (south) side of the street.
Text: First settler, Celeste Pingenot came to this area in 1870. He built first house on south bank of Turkey Creek, 1871. Established stagecoach stand, store and inn; named it Wallace. He was first postmaster, commissioned, 1878. Community protected from Indians by small detachment of soldiers billeted at "The Spring," nearby. August Cline was employed by Pingenot to operate store and stagecoach stand. When railroad came in 1883, built rock house and post office on north bank. Became postmaster. Renamed community, Cline.