Williamson County, Texas
30 30.876' N 97 41.616' W
Text: E. B. and Mary Harvey Barker bought this house of locally quarried limestone in May 1873. The Barkers, who resided on a farm at Rice's Crossing (20 mi. E), lived here during the winter season so that their eight children could attend school in Round Rock. Their son, Dudley, became a noted Texas Ranger; he returned to the house in 1940 to etch his birth date on an interior wall. As an intact example of a vernacular center-passage house, the dwelling is a vivid reminder of pioneer architecture.