John Gawlik House
Karnes County, Texas
28 57.485' N 97 54.008' W Directions: Start at the intersection of CR-381 and CR-242. The house is on the northeast corner of the intersection.
Text: Built in 1858 by a Polish immigrant from upper Silesia, the John Gawlik House is the oldest stone home in Panna Maria. Characteristics of rural upper Silesian homes and this house are steeply pitched gable roofs with large overhangs covering the porch, two small windows for ventilation, and interior meat smoking rooms connected to fireplaces. Gawlik, a stone mason, also assisted in building Panna Maria's Immaculate Conception Church and other local homes. John and his wife, Johanna, lived in the home until Johanna's death in 1899. Thereafter, the Theo and Eva Pollok family and then subsequent generations of the Emma and Joe J. Janysek family have owned the property.