Comanche County, Texas
31 50.770' N 98 24.238' W
Text: Settlers began arriving in this area of Comanche County in the 1870s. Among the pioneers were members of the Blankenship family, who inherited land granted to brothers Christopher and A. K. Clark for Republic of Texas military service. The first settlement, located about three-fourths of a mile northeast of this site, was named Evergreen. It included homes, a store, blacksmith shop, cotton gin, and school. In the 1880s, when a new road opened between Comanche and Hamilton, the citizens of Evergreen moved their town to this site to be on the route of the new road. A U.S. post office opened in January 1888, and was named for postmaster Samuel Gustine. By the early 20th century, the town of Gustine boasted homes, churches, and businesses, including two cotton gins, three poultry companies, a grist mill, retail stores, telephone and electric utilities, a newspaper, and a bank. The Cotton Belt Railway built a line through the area in 1910, causing an economic boom until it was discontinued in the 1930s. State Highway 36 was built on the railroad right-of-way, however, maintaining the town's most important transportation route.