Building - 1892 - Bee County 0001
Bee County, Texas
28 24.120' N 97 44.922' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Corpus Christi Street and Saint Marys Street. Go 1/2 block west on Corpus Christi Street. The building is on the right (north) side of the road.
Historical Marker: Victorian architecture. Built 1892 by grocer J.C. Thompson (1836-1905) of brick from Calavaros Kiln near Elmendorf. Upstairs in 1892 was law office of Lon C. Hill, who later founded Harlingen. Afterward on second floor was "Beeville Light Guard" Armory. Acquired in 1910 by Eureka Telephone Company, was communications headquarters (1912-20) for Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Company, and then for Southwestern Bell until 1957.