Building - 1889 - Erath County 0001
Erath County, Texas
32 13.179' N 98 12.158' W
198 S. Belknap Street
Text: Built in 1889 to house the city's first bank, this is the earliest of three structures on the town square designed by prominent San Antonio architect J. Riely Gordon. It features elaborate stonework and large arches typical of Romanesque Revival architecture and a Queen Anne style tower and pedimented entrance. The bank, organized by C. J. Shapard and with assets in excess of $158,000 by 1893, merged with Farmers National Bank in 1925 due to depressed oil and cattle prices.