Brenham Masonic Cemetery
Washington County, Texas 3
0 11.032' N 96 24.102' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Duprie Road and Old Masonic Cemetery Road. Go 100 yards north on Old Masonic Cemetery Road. The Brenham Masonic Cemetery is on the right (east) side of the road.
Text: Numerous gravestones dating from the early 1840s indicate this burial ground was in use well before December of 1847, when it was formally deeded to the Graham Masonic Lodge #20 by Chauncey B. Shepard (1812-1892). Brenham's citizens buried many loved ones here in latter part of 1867 as an epidemic swept through the area; the site has been commonly known as "The Yellow Fever Cemetery" ever since. Laid to rest here are: pioneers; veterans of The War of 1812, the The Texas Revolution and the Civil War; state and local lawmakers and officials; educators; and many other who formed Washington County's heritage.