Gonzales County, Texas
29 30.097' N 97 27.147' W
An eight hundred pound bell was installed in the tower of the firehouse in 1908 to sound a call to volunteer firemen. This one thousand bell was placed on a tower in the alley of the four hundred block of St. George Street and synchronized by the telephone company to alert firemen and to toll the bell with one call. This bell was used until about 1927, when it was not needed and stored by the city. It is being “de-hung”. As a symbol of the past, present, and future of the Gonzales Fire Department.