Washington County, Texas
30 10.888' N 96 35.801' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Washington Street and Railroad Streets. The depot is on the southeast corner of the intersection.
Text: Burton began as a terminal on the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1870. A depot, built that year, burned in 1898 and was replaced by this structure. Built according to standard plans of the Southern Pacific Railroad (which absorbed the Houston & Texas Central), it exhibits elements of the Queen Anne and Italianate styles. Outstanding features include wide overhanging eaves and "sunburst" gable windows typical in Southern Pacific structures.