Burton High School
Washington County, Texas
30 11.095' N 96 35.934' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of Main Street and Cedar Street. Go 200 yards north on Main Street. The marker is on the left (west) side of the street.
Text: Burton Public Schools opened in 1874, and by 1926 nine grades were offered. In 1938, construction on Burton's first high school began. Funded through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), the building was completed in 1940. Designed by architect Travis Broesche and built by local contractor Will Weeren, the school exhibits international and rustic architectural style. Features include abutting two-story rectangular blocks, a curved wall near the entrance, and a native field stone veneer.